Firearms training requirements--safety instructor requirements--penalty for violations.
5. A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any sheriff issuing a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 if the instructor:
(1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor [Inside the Home or Outside the Home] and Basic Pistol Shooting Course are acceptable or pistol marksmanship instructor; or
(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor's course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or
(3) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or
(4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or
(5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor.
6. Any firearms safety instructor who knowingly provides any sheriff with any false information concerning an applicant's performance on any portion of the required training and qualification shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor.
(L. 2003 H.B. 349, et al., § 571.094, subsecs. 22 to 27, A.L. 2007 S.B. 62 & 41, A.L. 2011 H.B. 294, et al., A.L. 2012 H.B. 1647 merged with S.B. 489 & 637)
(Click here to go directly to the state of Missouri Concealed Carry Instructor Resource page for more detailed information)
~NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor:
This is a 1 day Instructor level course, but it does have some significant prerequisites you need to be aware of.
Pre-requisites are as follows: Must have a current NRA Basic Instructor Training (The BIT will cover NRA policies, procedures, basic public speaking skills, training methods, use of a training team, training aids, organization and budget, and preparing to teach.) and complete the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course Instructor Led Training as a student.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Course teaches the instructor candidate how to teach the fundamentals of handgun safety, operation, and responsible ownership to new shooters throughout the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended Course and the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course Instructor Led Training.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be certified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course and the Practical Exercises for the Blended Course to students.
*********Please review the pre-course assessments. Expectations are spelled out for the skill set you need to have.*********
Click the course title links for detailed information about requirements for each course.
This course block is not a preparatory seminar. Successful completion of the minimum course block will certify you as an NRA Trainer in the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Discipline. It will provide you with the NRA instructor certification needed to teach the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training Course and the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended Course. With the NRA Range Safety Officer Course, you will be certified as an NRA Range Safety Officer (not as an NRA Range Safety Officer Instructor).
Before you get Concealed Carry Instructor training, make sure your instructors are current NR certified trainers. NRA Training Counselors train NRA Instructors. NRA Instructors train students. If you are in doubt, ask to see your Training Counselor's current certification to verify his Training Counselor credentials. If your trainer is not an NRA Training Counselor they cannot certify you as an NRA Instructor.