"Section IV. Firearms Instructor Qualifications (Check All That Apply)
1. Currently certified as a firearms trainer or instructor by a city, county, state, or federal law enforcement agency. Attach a copy of your current certification and a letter signed by an agency official attesting to your certification as a firearms trainer/instructor. [or]
2. Currently certified as a firearms trainer for the purpose of training licensed Kansas private investigators (must be certified by the Attorney General pursuant to K.S.A. 75-7b21). Attach a copy of your current certification issued by the Attorney General. [or]
3. Currently certified as a firearms trainer or instructor with a branch of the United States armed services. Attach a copy of your current certification and a letter signed by your commanding officer attesting to your certification as a firearms instructor. [or]
4. Currently certified as a law enforcement firearms trainer or instructor by the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center (KLETC). Attach a copy of the KLETC certificate bearing a valid expiration date. If submitting a non-expiring instructor certificate, attach a copy of the certificate and a letter from KLETC attesting that the certificate does not expire. [or]
5. Currently certified as an instructor in one or more of the following National Rifle Association (NRA) courses: basic pistol instructor; personal protection [Inside the Home or Outside the Home] instructor; police firearms instructor; law enforcement security firearms instructor; law enforcement tactical handgun instructor; or law enforcement handgun/shotgun instructor. Attach a copy of your current NRA instructor credential bearing a valid expiration date. [or]
6. Currently certified as an instructor in one or more of the following American Association of Certified Firearms Instructors (AACFI) courses: handgun safety and handling basics instructor; or permit to carry instructor. Attach a copy of your current AACFI instructor certification bearing a valid expiration date."
(Click here to go directly to the Kansas Attorney General's Concealed Carry Instructor Resource page for more detailed information)
~NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor:
This is a 1 day Instructor level course, but it does have some significant prerequisites you need to be aware of.
Pre-requisites are as follows: Must have a current NRA Basic Instructor Training (The BIT will cover NRA policies, procedures, basic public speaking skills, training methods, use of a training team, training aids, organization and budget, and preparing to teach.) and complete the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course Instructor Led Training as a student.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Course teaches the instructor candidate how to teach the fundamentals of handgun safety, operation, and responsible ownership to new shooters throughout the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended Course and the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course Instructor Led Training.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be certified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course and the Practical Exercises for the Blended Course to students.
*********Please review the pre-course assessments. Expectations are spelled out for the skill set you need to have.*********
Click the course title links for detailed information about requirements for each course.
This course block is not a preparatory seminar. Successful completion of the minimum course block will certify you as an NRA Trainer in the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Discipline. It will provide you with the NRA instructor certification needed to teach the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training Course and the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended Course. With the NRA Range Safety Officer Course, you will be certified as an NRA Range Safety Officer (not as an NRA Range Safety Officer Instructor).
Before you get Concealed Carry Instructor training, make sure your instructors are current NR certified trainers. NRA Training Counselors train NRA Instructors. NRA Instructors train students. If you are in doubt, ask to see your Training Counselor's current certification to verify his Training Counselor credentials. If your trainer is not an NRA Training Counselor they cannot certify you as an NRA Instructor.